[Mailman-Users] Content Filtering - Reject

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 19 20:54:13 CEST 2005

CL-Admin wrote:

>Thanks for the prompt response, I have been digesting and doing
>further research, I am not to experienced in the Mime format world and
>haven't found much in my Internet searches that I understood to help
>me choose what to put in the mime type..  The goal is to get the list
>into plain test with NO images, several of the users are on WEB-TV and
>can't read HTML.  I did find FAQ 3.10 and read most of the embedded
>link to the 20+ page document on the whys to keep in plain text, would
>that be the solution?

That FAQ answer predates the advent of content filtering, so it is not
the current best way to do this.

>Currently the spam-specific posting filters contains (2nd field on
>screen):
>
># Lines that *start* with a '#' are comments.
>to: friend at public.com
>message-id: relay.comanche.denmark.eu
>from: list at listme.com
>from: .*@uplinkpro.com
>
>These values are a hold over from previous hosting company set-up.

Actually, they are defaults for legacy spam filters, but you want to
use content filtering, not header filtering.

To pass only plain text parts from essentially all messages set the
following in Content filtering->pass_mime_types:

multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
message/rfc822
text/plain

If you also want to allow pgp signed messages, add:

multipart/signed
application/pgp-signature

Also, set filter content to Yes and set filter_action as desired. If
you want to try HTML to plain text conversion, you can set
convert_html_to_plaintext to Yes and add 'text/html' to
pass_mime_types.

Also see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-January/042239.html