[Mailman-Users] Spams are causing "ping pongs"

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Sat Jul 2 06:51:23 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,
I have a problem where if we get some type of spam cause emails to 'ping pong'
back and forth. Instead an email going to me (ie the list owner) they appear
to go back to the list, and get held again (because the list owner alias
isn't on the list) and back and forth it goes about 40 times.

the -owner@ messages do go to me (I tested it :) so I'm not sure why they
don't get forwarded to me in this case.

I have an archive of the messages in mbox format (depickled heldmsg-*)
available at http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/ping-pong.tbz

I am running MIMEDefang which calls Spam Assassin to mark incoming messages
with X- headers and Mailman is configured to hold messages with those headers
(if it matters). This list is configured to hold messages from
non-subscribers and to not send "your message is held" emails.

Any suggestions muchly appreciated! Let me know if you need more info :)

Thanks for your time.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum