[Mailman-Users] Virus Just Got Through on TOTALLY MODERATED list.

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Sat Jan 29 03:18:46 CET 2005

Maybe you should install a virus scanning feature to your mailer?

I use mimedefang which has a hook to many different virus scanning products.  I use f-prot.

My platform:

  Fedora Core 2
  Sendmail 8.13.1
  mimedefang 2.48
  f-prot linux ws 4.4.2

this configuration discards infected email messages.

Jeff g.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I just had a small problem.  A virus was just sent to all the list
> members which had spoofed the moderator's email address.  No "requires
> approval" message was sent, despite the fact that everyone (even the
> moderator) has the "mod" bit set to "on".
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.beagle.ba@mm.html
>

> Are there any known and open bugs in 2.1.5 that would allow this behavior?
>
> Is there any way of telling in the headers (or archives, or logs?) how a
> message was approved?
>
> Here's the headers:

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:05:09 -0500
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Dan Mahoney
>
> --
>
> "Ca. Tas. Tro. Phy."
>
> -John Smedley, March 28th 1998, 3AM

Law of Procrastination:
         Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has
         the feeling that there is nothing important to do.