[Mailman-Users] AssertionError

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Wed Jan 19 11:42:36 CET 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 04:46:51PM -0500, John Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 16:21, John Poltorak wrote:
> > What is an AssertionError and how do I get rid of it?
> >
> > It occurs when I start mailmanctl which outputs this error:-
> >

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "mailmanctl", line 547, in ?
> >      main()
> >   File "mailmanctl", line 402, in main
> >      lock._transfer_to(pid)
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 398, in _transfer_to
> >      assert self.__linkcount() == 2
> > AssertionError
> >

> > What is this trying to do?
>
> In UNIX file systems files are represented as inodes. There is a list in
> every directory of file names and the inodes they point to. Multiple
> names can point to one inode. When a name points to an inode it is
> called a link. Thus both "fileA" and "fileB" can be the exact same file
> if their links point to the same inode.
>
> The code in question just created a 2nd link (2nd filename) to the same
> file and its asserting that exactly two names exist for that file.
>
> Since you're porting to OS2 which does not to the best of my knowledge
> support UNIX filesystems you'll have to rewrite this code.

I thought Mailman was supposed to be platform independent... I didn't have
this particular problem with v2.0.13 but I guess this must be some thing
new related to mailmanctl.

As far as rewriting this code goes, I'm a bit stuck because, a) I don't
know Python, b) I don't know what the purpose of the code is. Maybe I can
just comment it out...

--
John