[Mailman-Users] AssertionError

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 22:46:51 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 16:21, John Poltorak wrote:
> What is an AssertionError and how do I get rid of it?
>
> It occurs when I start mailmanctl which outputs this error:-
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "mailmanctl", line 547, in ?
>      main()
>   File "mailmanctl", line 402, in main
>      lock._transfer_to(pid)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 398, in _transfer_to
>      assert self.__linkcount() == 2
> AssertionError
>

> What is this trying to do?

In UNIX file systems files are represented as inodes. There is a list in
every directory of file names and the inodes they point to. Multiple
names can point to one inode. When a name points to an inode it is
called a link. Thus both "fileA" and "fileB" can be the exact same file
if their links point to the same inode.

The code in question just created a 2nd link (2nd filename) to the same
file and its asserting that exactly two names exist for that file.

Since you're porting to OS2 which does not to the best of my knowledge
support UNIX filesystems you'll have to rewrite this code.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>