SOLVED Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman-SpamAssassin

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Wed Jan 5 02:06:50 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerhard Killesreiter" <killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de>
To: "John Fleming" <john at wa9als.com>
Cc: <Mailman-Users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman-SpamAssassin

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, John Fleming wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use the Handler that integrates Mailman with SpamAssassin
>> as
>> described at http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/ and
>> referenced in the Mailman FAQ.  Although I'm a relative newbie, I am
>> using a
>> similar handler that integrates ClamAV with Mailman successfully.
>> However,
>> I can't get the SA handler to work - Known spam gets delivered to the
>> list
>> as if SA was not involved at all.  Spamd is running and SA otherwise
>> working
>> fine with other non-list email  I have the python scripts SpamAssassin.py
>> and spamd.py in the Mailman/Handlers directory with ownership list:list
>> (works with clamav script) and have tried root:list.
>
> Is there anything in the logs? I am running a similar setup and it is
> working fine.
>
>> My Mailman mm_cfg.py pertinent part looks like this:
>>
>> GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1, 'SpamAssassin')
>> #SPAMASSASSIN_HOST = 'my.domain.com'  <----tried with and without
>> specifying
>> the hostname
>> #
>> #  Scan messages for viruses using Clam AntiVirus
>> GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1, 'ClamScan')
>> CLAMAV_DISCARD = 0
>> CLAMAV_CLAMDSCANPATH = '/usr/bin/clamdscan'
>
> About the same for me.
>
> I additionally have:
>
> SPAMASSASSIN_DISCARD_SCORE = 8
> SPAMASSASSIN_HOLD_SCORE = 5
> SPAMASSASSIN_MEMBER_BONUS = 42
>
>> MTA is Postfix.  Linux is Debian Sarge (Testing).  I've googled myself
>
> Exim on stable (but a recent mm from cvs).
>
> logs/vette should show you discarded messages.
>
> Cheers,
> Gerhard

I found some clues in vette.  My main problem was that SPAMASSASSIN_HOST =
'localhost' was the only thing that worked for me - using my FQDN' or
hostname did not work.  Then my testing was obfuscated by using a spam that
was above the hold score.  Tnx bandwidth and tips received.  Working great
now.  - John