[Mailman-Users] Edited pages

Terry Allen hmag at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 2 21:40:55 CET 2005

>I have recently come across a problem which I need your help on please.
>
>First let me say that the installation of Mailman which I use is NOT
>available to me - it is shared server-wide with many other users who
>are hosted on the server.
>
>As admninistrator of a list I am setting up, I edited the html of
>two of the only webpages available to be edited to add some degree
>of personalisation, namely the "subscription results" page and the
>"user options" page.  Everything was working well until yesterday
>when I was testing a few things out, and found that for some unknown
>reason the old mailman-generated pages had come back.
>
>Now, luckily I had backed up the html of my customised pages and was
>able to sort it out quite quickly, but it was only because I
>happened along by fluke that I noticed the problem, and I want to
>avoid it ever happening again. I don't want my users to be browsing
>my pretty, personalised webpages to be suddenly confronted by two
>rather ugly mailman pages in the middle of my site!
>
>My webhost can't think why it happened, and is reluctant to blame an
>upgrade or restoration of some backup or other.
>
>I think what I need to find out from you, is the usual location of
>both the two original mailman generated pages, and also the location
>of the two pages after I have edited them (if different).
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Pete Bell, UK

Hi again,
	Looking at your post, it would be hard to place the fault of
the problem at the feet of Mailman. Pages simply do not change unless
something has changed them. Despite protests from the host provider,
I would be thinking either upgrade or system restoration or similar.
I would be thinking that they stuffed up & are reluctant to admit it.
Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
	If the host is providing multi-user mailman environs, then
the locations may well be different. I am guessing that the pages you
are seeking would be in /usr/local/mailman/templates/en - however,
this depends largely on the paths the person who set Mailman up with
used. Hope this helps.
--

	Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
	hEARd, 26B Glenning Rd,	Glenning Valley, NSW 2261, Australia
Internet -
	WWW: http://heard.com.au http://itavservices.com
EMAIL: hmag at ozemail.com.au
Phone: Australia - 02 4388 1400 / International - + 61 2 43881400
Mobile: Australia - 04 28881400 / International - 61 4 28881400