[Mailman-Users] Use of " in footer

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 26 00:41:38 CET 2005

John Fleming wrote:

>OK, I got it to work like I want.  Is there a security risk to doing the
>footer this way?

No. there's no security issue. Just the issue of an update from the web
page undoing what you've done.

The security issue is protecting against a malicious list administrator
perpetrating attacks by entering scripts into attribute boxes. For
general information about this kind of attack, try
http://www.google.com/search?q=XSS

Mailman protects against this by escaping all HTML tag like stuff
that's entered in these web forms.

There's no issue with putting the unescaped characters in via
config_list since only a trusted site administrator can do this, and
presumably won't put in any villainous stuff.