[Mailman-Users] Need setup help - test list doesn't show up on~/mailman/listinfo page

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 14 03:43:27 CET 2005

Michael Sullivan wrote:

>I can go to
>127.0.0.1/mailman/listinfo and see the mailman logo there as well as
>some text, but my test mailing list doesn't show up there.  No lists
>show up there.

This can be fixed in one of two ways. You can set

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

in mm_cfg.py, or you can see
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp
including the part about fix_url under "Existing versus new lists"

>I tried subscribing my local root account to the test
>list:
>
>baby root # mail -s "SUBSCRIBE" test-subscribe
>Subscribe me!
>
>And got an error email in my local inbox that said:
>
>The original message was received at Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:58:20 -0600
>from espersunited.com [127.0.0.1]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
>    (reason: 2)
>    (expanded from: <test-subscribe at espersunited.com>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but
>the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>group "daemon".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
>providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.
>554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

<snip>

>I'm not sure what the problem is.   The error message looks to me like
>it's saying I started the mailman daemon the wrong way, but I started it
>from /etc/init.d/mailman start.

No, it's not saying that. It's saying that the group that the mailman
wrapper (/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman) was *built* to expect to be
run as is not the group that the MTA is running it as.

>Did I do something wrong, or did I
>forget to set something somewhere?  Please help!

Basically, there are two ways to fix this as indicated in the message.
You can change the mail server's configuration file so it runs as
group "mailman" or you can change the wrapper so it expects to be
started by group "daemon". The second option is better than the first
because Mailman's security depends on the wrappers being setgid and
only setting group "mailman" after they've determined that things are
OK.

The standard way to accomplish the latter when installing from source
is to re-run configure, providing the command line option
`--with-mail-gid=daemon' just as the message says and then rerun "make
install". I don't know how to do it when installing from a Gentoo
package.