[Mailman-Users] Need setup help - test list doesn't show up on ~/mailman/listinfo page

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Mon Feb 14 03:01:42 CET 2005

I have two PC's; a server (bullet) and a client (baby).  bullet has
Fedora Core 1 installed on it; baby has Gentoo.  I wanted to wipe bullet
and install Gentoo on it, but it's in use as a www/ftp/email server for
myself and my three other users.  I am going to recreate the environment
that bullet provides on baby and change where my router forwards
affected ports to so that I can install Gentoo on bullet.  I started
this project this morning, but have run into a snag.  I emerged apache
and got it set up and working.  I then emerged mailman.  The notes at
the end of the emerge output said to read
the /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.5-r4/README.gentoo file to complete my
setup of mailman.  I read the file and followed its instructions.  I set
up the mailman list and also a list called 'test' and entered the
appropriate lines in /etc/mail/aliases and ran newaliases.  I checked to
make sure that mailman was running; it was.  I can go to
127.0.0.1/mailman/listinfo and see the mailman logo there as well as
some text, but my test mailing list doesn't show up there.  No lists
show up there.  I tried subscribing my local root account to the test
list:

baby root # mail -s "SUBSCRIBE" test-subscribe
Subscribe me!

And got an error email in my local inbox that said:

The original message was received at Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:58:20 -0600
from espersunited.com [127.0.0.1]

"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
    (reason: 2)
    (expanded from: <test-subscribe at espersunited.com>)

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "daemon".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=daemon'.
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

mail delivery
report attachment

email message