[Mailman-Users] Run a script when new lists are created

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 12 01:56:53 CET 2005

Meike Reichle wrote:

>I am in the process of moving all out mailing lists to mailman. So far,
>everything went rather smoothly, but there's on last problem I am trying
>to solve: When I create a new mailing list, I have to add the new
>addresses to our mailservers' whitelists. I wrote a script that does
>that, but until now it is run by cron. I could start the script from the
>newlist command, but I don't know whether this command is also used when
>a new list is created using the webinterface (which is more likely).

It is not.

>So, my question is: What is the best way to have a script run, whenever
>a new list is created?
>I am using mailman2.1.5 with exim on a Solaris box.

In mm_cfg.py, you set MTA = 'SomeName'. Then you create a python script
Mailman/MTA/SomeName.py with a create() and a remove() function and
these are called respectively whenever a list is created or removed.
See the existing Mailman/MTA/Manual.py and Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py
scripts for examples.