[Mailman-Users] Command-line moderation...

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 29 07:53:07 CET 2005

Folks,

	I recently ran into a minor problem, and took the opportunity to
update the FAQ with the latest information I've been able to find so
far on the topic.

	In another open-source project I'm involved with, I also manage
the mail server and the mailing list services.  Through a fault of my
own, one of the lists on this server hasn't seen any moderation in
weeks, or maybe months.  Hundreds, possibly thousands, of spam
messages built up in the moderation queue -- this is a very popular
address for spammers, as far as I can tell.

	Of course, the web interface was way too bloody slow.  So, I
tried to find some of those command-line moderation tools that we've
talked about before.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find very much
that was useful.  I did find Skip's "mmfold.py" script, but on our
server we do the same HTTP/HTTPS modification as outlined in FAQ
4.27, but my command-line web client doesn't support HTTPS, so
mmfold.py doesn't help me.

	Anyway, I pulled together all the rest of the information I know
on the subject, and put it into FAQ entry 3.61.  Now, if we can get
some of those "large list" sites to contribute their command-line
moderation tools, the entire rest of the Mailman community will
benefit.

	Meanwhile, I'm going to go make yet another update to my "mmdsr"
script so that I won't get blind-sided again, at least not in this
same way.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755