[Mailman-Users] Way to reset list Admin password?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 21 00:10:21 CET 2005

Thomas Waters wrote:

>I replaced an older server today with a new Mac OS X XServe.  I moved
>my mailman lists and I see then in the Server Admin.  but when I try
>and access them via the Mailman web page UI, I get a " Authorization
>failed" error when I try to enter my list moderator password.

If you literally mean what you said, you're not supposed to be able to
access the list's 'admin' interface with the 'moderator' password. You
can only access the 'admindb' interface with the 'moderator' password.
The 'admin' interface requires the list's 'administrator' password or
the Mailman installation's 'site' password.

I expect though that when you say 'moderator' you probably mean
'administrator'

>I found this in the archive and willing to give it a try, but wanted
>to see 1) Is this the right way to go?  2) Other suggestions?
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg34242.html

This is one way to proceed. The other is to log on to the list's admin
interface with the site password and change the list administrator
password via the admin->Passwords page. You can use bin/mmsitepass to
set a new site password.

It just occurs to me that maybe you've been using the site password all
along, and you didn't move data/adm.pw to the new server.