[Mailman-Users] Next step, Announce Only

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Mon Dec 19 20:05:13 CET 2005

Okay, I've fixed the SMTP problems, and my lists are working, yay!
But now my boss wants to make two announce-only lists, and we're
trying to follow the directions in the FAQ:

>In Mailman 2.1.x you can customize the welcome message.  Create
>   a directory lists/<yourlist>/en (assuming English :) and copy
>   templates/subscribeack.txt to this directory.  Then edit this file
>   for your specific wording.  Mailman will use this specialized
>   template for the English welcome messages.

We've found where Mac OS X Server keeps these files ...
/private/var/mailman/ ... and we see that there is already a lists
directory there.

So we went into the specific list and created the /en directory, and
then /templates in there, and put the subscribeack.txt file into it,
all edited as he wants it.

But it's still not working. I'm afraid that I'm getting confused with
the wording in the FAQ above. The new file is located in
/private/var/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/templates/subscribeack.txt.
Is this the proper location?

And if so, then is there another step I'm missing to make this work right?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated by me and my boss!
--
Julia Frizzell
Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager
julia_frizzell at brown.edu