[Mailman-Users] Virtual Host sending problem

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at brown.edu
Thu Dec 15 22:29:56 CET 2005

Greetings everyone!

New to the list, and having some mail delivery problems.

I have setup up an OS X 10.4 Server box to run Mailman, and Mailman
only.  No regular mail is going through this box.

Everything was working fine. And then, Virtual Hosts came in.

The main reason for this Mailman installation is to support a
virtually hosted website. The people will be discussing the site and
other things on the lists.

The DNS is being handled off-site, by the organization who asked us
for this setup. We got them to make MX records and point them to the
right addresses.

I believe I've configured Mailman right, but of course, it's not
working, so something isn't right.

The lists work fine for sending. (I have two virtual hosts). I can
create lists using the web interface, and subscribe people to them. I
can get the password and list creation messages sent out (all mail is
relayed out using my employer's SMTP server, per their policies).

But, in trying to send mail, I am stymied. The first time, mail was
rejected immediately, didn't pass go, didn't collect $200. I added
into Server Admin the two virtually hosted domains. That seems to
have made a change, as now my mail goes off into the great beyond,
instead of immediately being rejected.

In looking at the SMTP error log, this is what I'm seeing for the error:

Dec 15 14:54:53 list postfix/lmtp[27282]: 88BFD47E63:
to=<***@***.***.***>, relay=none, delay=1641, status=deferred
(connect to /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp]: No such
file or directory)

And sure enough, if I go into that directory, there is no lmtp file
or directory in that spot.

But, since Mailman *is* working for the non-virtual host, I think
I've just misconfigured something somewhere, or left out a step.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
--
Julia Frizzell
Systems Administrator/Help Desk Manager