[Mailman-Users] Uncaught bounce notifications

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 1 19:53:42 CET 2005

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>Here is the message, as forwarded to me by the list owner on behalf of
>the sender. I have changed the listname with LIST. This could be the
>case where the sender was using a MS Outlook client, as pointed out by
>the FAQ. If more information is needed, I will have to get the sender to
>provide the full headers of the message.
>
>                        mailman-bounces at l
>                          ist.odu.edu

>                          11/27/2005 11:30 LIST-owner at list.odu.edu
>                          PM cc
>                                                                                                                                      Subject
>
>Uncaught bounce notification
>
>The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
>format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
>from it. This mailing list has been configured to send all
>unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).
>
>For more information see: http://list.odu.edu/admin/LIST/bounce
>
>----- Message from ... <user at odu.edu> on Sun, 27 Nov 2005
>23:30:28 -0500 -----
>
>                To: LIST-bounces at list.odu.edu
>
>      Subject: Re: [LIST] We need new officers for the spring semester!
>
>[BODY REMOVED]
>
>Thanks,

Although some of the header info is garbled, possibly by a copy and
paste operation, this is clearly a copy of an "Uncaught bounce
notification". The original "bounce" appears to be a post erroneously
sent to LIST-bounces at ... instead of LIST at ...

My question now, is are we sure there isn't some miscommunication
between you, the list owner and the original user? Do we even really
know that the original user (or anyone other than the list owner)
actually received this specific message?