[Mailman-Users] Uncaught bounce notifications

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 1 11:33:25 CET 2005

At 9:34 AM -0500 2005-11-30, Darren G Pifer wrote:

>       Also, is there a way to avoid user's replying to
>  listname-bounce at list.odu.edu? We would, of course, prefer that
>  subscribers to reply to listname at list.odu.edu but the bounce address is
>  the one that mailman uses when sending the mail out.

	The user can do whatever they want, or whatever their software
allows them to do.  It sounds like some misconfigured software is
setting them up to reply to listname-bounce instead of listname, but
short of setting a reply-to header (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.048.htp>
for why this is strongly discouraged), I don't think you're going to
be able to "fix" a user problem by making changes on the server.

	In short, if a patient goes to the doctor and complains that it
hurts when they do a certain thing in a certain way, it is not at all
unusual for the doctor to inform them to stop doing that thing in
that way.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755