[Mailman-Users] Subscribe/Unsubscribe remotely by admin

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 1 04:14:27 CET 2005

Rae wrote:

>Okay, so the better way would be not to use the adminpasswd in the
>command but a userpasswd instead.

But this results in a confirmation email to the user which the OP was
trying to avoid.

>I tried to run the command as designated in the link below but it
>does not work as expected. I received this error:
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.6
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing
>of traceback and other system information has been explicitly
>inhibited, but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman
>error logs.

Did you look in Mailman's 'error' log for the error and traceback? What
were they?

And did you read the whole thread or did you just try the one
UNsubscribe command in the first post of the thread. Most likely the
error is a NotAMemberError: exception that resulted from an attempt to
unsubscribe a non-member. This error would not normally occur because
that particular 'post' comes from a member's options page, so the
address would be a member's address.