[Mailman-Users] Best way to limit list admin power?

Dave Halsema halsema at purdue.edu
Tue Aug 30 20:29:50 CEST 2005

> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:52:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: Dave Halsema <halsema at purdue.edu>
> To: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: [Mailman-Users] Best way to limit list admin power?
>
> Hi all!
>
> I am looking for a way to limit some of the abilities a list
> administrator has over their subscribers on the subscriber member
> option pages.
>
> Specifically, I'd like to disable the list administrator from being
> able to globally change anything for the user, disable viewing the
> other subscriptions, and even disable the setting of a password.
>
> I don't mind the administrator being able to change things for a
> subscriber for the particular list they administer, but I don't want
> them affecting user options on other lists.
>
> What's the best way to do this?  Has anyone else had to deal with
> this issue in a large Mailman installation?  If so, what have you done?
>
>     -Dave
>
> Security Policy: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&amp;file=faq01.027.htp

I am following up my own post.  I found the following patch that was
submitted last April which looks like it will do most of what I want.

"[ 892118 ] limit admin privs on user options page"
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=892118&group_id=103&atid=300103

Has anyone here had experience running this patch, or has anyone else
ever wanted to do what I'm doing?  I am guessing my installation and
level of trust of the list admins must be quite different than most
other Mailman sites.  :-)

    -Dave