[Mailman-Users] Premature End of Script Headers (permissions error?)

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 21:14:50 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 14:52 -0400, Chris Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm farily new to Linux administration, but my employer has just asked
> me to set up some mailing lists. As Mailman seems like a popular and
> robust piece of software, I decided to give it a try.
>
> I have performed the installation of Mailman (on Redhat), but continue
> to receive 500 Internal Server Errors when I try to access anything in
> the Mailman cgi-bin, e.g. localhost/mailman/create. The Apache logs
> show two errors: "(13) Permission denied: exec of
> '/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create' failed." and "Premature end of
> script headers: create."

I think the path of least resistance is to install the pre-built mailman
rpm from Red Hat rather than trying to perform every piece of obscure
configuration yourself. The rpm package is designed to integrate with
existing Red Hat packages and configuration. If you do start with the
rpm it won't mean you'll be free from any configuration issues but
you'll avoid a number of headaches. If you do go this route please be
sure to follow the instructions
in /usr/share/doc/mailman-*/INSTALL.REDHAT.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>