[Mailman-Users] Premature End of Script Headers (permissions error?)

Chris Mueller chris.mueller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:52:10 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm farily new to Linux administration, but my employer has just asked
me to set up some mailing lists. As Mailman seems like a popular and
robust piece of software, I decided to give it a try.

I have performed the installation of Mailman (on Redhat), but continue
to receive 500 Internal Server Errors when I try to access anything in
the Mailman cgi-bin, e.g. localhost/mailman/create. The Apache logs
show two errors: "(13) Permission denied: exec of
'/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/create' failed." and "Premature end of
script headers: create."

I'm guessing that these errors are coming from a permissions problem
somewhere. I've tried reconfiguring Mailman with several cgi-gid's
(nobody, apache, mailman, www), but none of these group names changes
the error at all. What group should I be using, or how do I determine
what group I should use?

Thanks,
Chris