[Mailman-Users] Mailman getting stuck while trying to send a message

Remi Delon remi at cherrypy.org
Sun Apr 24 20:28:39 CEST 2005

Hello,

For several weeks my mailman instance sometimes just stops delivering
messages. Restarting Mailman seems to fix it and messages that were in
the queue do get sent eventually.

Today I got a hint as to what might be happening ...
As Mailman seemed to be stuck again, I ran "mailmanctl stop" and watched
all the log files.
When I ran "mailmanctl stop", the following line suddenly appeared in
the "smtp" log file:

Apr 24 07:39:11 2005 (26501)
<BAY104-F2054D7459D5E9CBDBFD56ACC2D0 at phx.gbl> smtp for 155 recips,
completed in 159722.267 seconds

Wow ! So it seems that Mailman was stuck (for more than 40 hours) while
trying to send this message and that stopping it made it stop trying to
send this message and move on to the next ones (after I restarted it).

I also saw a lot of these appear in smtp-failure:

smtp-failure:Apr 24 07:39:11 2005 (26501) delivery to
<removed-email-address> failed with code -1: please run connect() first

Does anyone have any idea as to why Mailman gets stuck trying to send a
message sometimes ? If a resource (DNS, remote mail server, ...) is
unavailable, shouldn't it timeout after a while ?

I'm currently running version 2.1.4. Could this be fixed by upgrading to
the latest version ?

Thanks,

Remi.