[Mailman-Users] Changing Contact Mailing Address

Staven Bruce Staven.Bruce at valleyair.org
Sat Apr 23 00:35:07 CEST 2005

Ok, so I've figured my issue out, but I would really appreciate someone
explianing to me what's happening. I'm using Mailman version 2.1.5 on Red
Hat Enterprise 3.0 update 4. Originally, Mailman made two entries in
/etc/aliases under 'Mailman Aliases':

	#mailman aliases

	mailman:        postmaster
	mailman-owner: mailman

However when I set up the recommended 'Mailman' site list, these two entries
were duplicated under 'Mailman Mailing List':

	#mailman mailing list
	mailman:              "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
	mailman-owner:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"

As a result, /etc/aliases was complaining about having identical aliases. So
what I decided to comment out one of the duplicate entries.

However, what I found was that if I commented out the 'mailman' entry under
the 'Mailman Aliases' section, any mail sent to mailman at mydomain.com
**seemed** to disappear. It wasn't sent to me, it wasn't returned and it
wasn't held in the MTA que.

But then I found if I uncommented the 'mailman' entry under the 'Mailman
Aliases' section and commented out the 'mailman' entry under the 'Mailman
Mailng List' section, then mail sent to mailman at mydomain.com was delivered
to me with no problem. So, now I'm just trying to figure out why this
happens? Any ideas?