[Mailman-Users] Setting option flag for all users?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 18 19:21:01 CEST 2005

Jared Smith wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
> > You misunderstand the list settings. The users SuppressPasswordReminder
> > flag enables the user to supress her/his own reminders when
> > send_reminders is Yes. When send_reminders is No, no reminders are set
> > regardless of the user's individual SuppressPasswordReminder flag. The
> > user's setting does not override the list setting in this direction.
>
>Then why are they even given the option???

Sorry my response above wasn't clear.

If the list's send_reminders attribute is No, no reminders will be sent
for that list, period.

If the list's send_reminders attribute is Yes, reminders will be sent
to those users who have not opted out by setting their own
SuppressPasswordReminder flag.

I.e., the users option allows a user to opt out of reminders if the
list sends them, it does not allow the users to opt in to the
reminders if the list does not send them.

I agree this could be better described on the user options page and in
the List Member Manual, both of which seem to assume that the list is
set to send reminders.

>So if I set my list to send password reminders and each user has selected
>to not receive them, what happens?

Nobody gets a reminder.

>Does the list setting override the user
>setting as it does if the list setting is set to 'no'? If yes, then the
>user setting has no purpose, right? This sure could be better documented
>and implemented.

The description of send_reminders is:

-------------
send_reminders (general): Send monthly password reminders?

Turn this on if you want password reminders to be sent once per month
to your members. Note that members may disable their own individual
password reminders.
--------------

Granted, it doesn't explicitly say that users cannot enable their own
reminders if the option is off, but it seems reasonably clear to me
that users only have a 'disable' override.

I think that given the way other options in Mailman are described, if
the user's setting were controlling in every case, send_reminders
would just be described and implemented as a default for the user
setting rather than a separate setting.

I don't know the history of this, but various clues in both
documentation and code seem to say that the list's send_reminders
attribute is a relatively recent addition.