[Mailman-Users] moving lists from one server to another

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 22:21:16 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 15:23 -0400, Dave Pisarek wrote:
> One thing that I do not have is a "var" directory in mailman. Below is
> the what I have after I su - mailman
>
> bash-2.05$ pwd
> /usr/mailman
> bash-2.05$ ls
> Mailman    archives   cgi-bin    data       icons      locks      mail
>       pythonlib  scripts    templates
> TMPPPP     bin        cron       htdocs     lists      logs
> messages   qfiles     spam       tests
>
> Not sure if this helps you but i am a little confused by the "var"

As typically shipped and installed mailman has two "root" directories it
can install into, "prefix" and "var_prefix". In this instance "var" mean
variable, or where mailman will place its variable data as opposed to
its static run time files. Use of var_prefix is optional and depends on
how the installation was done initially. Typically what is in var_prefix
is archives, data, lists, logs, spam (off the top of my head and thats
from a 2.1 perspective, 2.0 is fuzzy these days). It looks like your
data files.

There are two files in the root of the tarball you'll want to read
carefully, one is INSTALL, it explains many things and the steps
involved. You will also want to read UPGRADING, it will help you go from
2.0 to 2.1.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>