[Mailman-Users] moving lists from one server to another

Dave Pisarek shaggyshags at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:23:17 CEST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:19 PM, Dave Pisarek <shaggyshags at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2005 2:54 PM, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 13:59 -0400, Dave Pisarek wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I am new to mailman and need to move around 200 lists from one server
> > > to another. I am looking for an easy way and fast way to do so. If
> > > someone could explain how or point me to good docs on how to do this I
> > > would greatly appreciate.
> >
> > You left out some information that would help answer your question:
> >
> > * Do you have shell access to both servers?
> >
> >   If so you can copy the files in the mailman "var" directory.
> >
> > * Will both servers be running the same basic version of mailman?
> >   E.g. 2.1 vs. 2.0? If you're upgrading versions at the same time you
> >   may need to run bin/update after the data files have been copied.
> >
> > * Will the new server have a new domain? If so, and you have shell
> >   access then you'll also have have to run bin/fix_url to change the
> >   domain.
> >
> > * You almost certainly have to check the values mm_cfg.py so they match
> >   the new server.
> >
> > * If you don't have shell access then I think its going to be very
> >   difficult.
> >
> > Don't forget to stop mailman from running before taking a snapshot of
> > the files to copy and give yourself time to test the new installation
> > before you turn your lists back on.
> > --
> > John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>
> >

> I do have root access to both servers and the new server is 2.1 vs the
> old 2.0 so you information is very helpful.
>
> Thank you very much John
>
> --
> -- Dave

One thing that I do not have is a "var" directory in mailman. Below is
the what I have after I su - mailman

bash-2.05$ pwd
/usr/mailman
bash-2.05$ ls
Mailman    archives   cgi-bin    data       icons      locks      mail
      pythonlib  scripts    templates
TMPPPP     bin        cron       htdocs     lists      logs
messages   qfiles     spam       tests

Not sure if this helps you but i am a little confused by the "var"

--
-- Dave