[Mailman-Users] How do I get my 2.0 members into a new 2.1 Mailmaninstall

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 6 06:04:16 CEST 2005

Daevid Vincent wrote:

>I recently upgraded from a RedHat 8 box to Gentoo. In doing so I upgraded
>Mailman. I have the old Mailman directories mounted and access to the files,
>but I do NOT have a running 2.0 version. I have Mailman 2.1
>
>I've followed two different "upgrade" posts to go from Mailman 2.0 to 2.1
>but both ways have left my lists "empty".
>
>Here's the most recent one which is essentially the same thing as the other
>method I tried.
>
>http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/print.php?id=18
>
>cd $MM20
>mv -i lists/foo-list $MM21/lists
>mv -i archives/private/foo-list $MM21/archives/private
>mv -i archives/private/foo-list.mbox $MM21/archives/private
>rm archives/public/foo-list
>rm archives/public/foo-list.mbox
>cd $MM21
>
>daevid mailman # ./bin/withlist -l -r fix_url rbc
>Importing fix_url...
>Running fix_url.fix_url()...
>Saving list
>Finalizing
>
>But when I type "./list_members rbc" nothing shows up. :(
>
>How do I get my members into the NEW 2.1 lists??!

I am guessing from the

rm archives/public/foo-list
rm archives/public/foo-list.mbox

above that you created the foo-list on 2.1 first. This is the problem.
Creating foo-list creates $MM21/lists/foo-list/config.pck. Then the
"mv" moves the old 2.0 lists/foo-list/config.db file. Then Mailman
sees the new config.pck and never tries to import config.db.

The solution is to remove the config.pck and config.pck.last leaving
only the config.db and config.db.last. Then run fix_url and you should
be OK as long as the Marshal format in config.db is compatible with
the Python on the Gentoo box.