[Mailman-Users] Shunted messages idea?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 4 21:44:31 CEST 2005

George Booth wrote:

>There weren't any errors at all when running the unshunt command; the
>messages simply would be shunted again. However, this is even stranger; I
>blew away and recreated the list several times last week, all to no avail;
>today, I tried that one more time, and it seems to have worked this time.
>The shunted messages have no reappeared in the shunt directory, and I know
>at least 4 of the 34 made it through. I'm awaiting confirmation that the
>other 30 did as well, but so far, it looks like it finally worked.
>
>Reason it worked this time? I've no idea. I didn't do anything today
>differently than I did last week. Although it would be nice to know what
>might have happened in case this happens again, I'm just relieved it finally
>worked this time. Subsequent messages appear to have gone through without
>any problems as well.

Your error trace below shows a problem in scrubbing an attachment which
is only done for digests and archives. Possibly the list was set up
this time with different content filtering or with no digests or
archives.

>There was an error message the administrator for the box (I'm the app admin
>for Mailman) sent me; I tried looking at the files it references, but
>couldn't find them. *shrug* Included below is what he sent me if you can
>make sense of it:

I don't know why you couldn't find the files. The first several are
Mailman modules and the rest are Python library modules. They were
clearly there when the error occurred, and unless Mailman and/or
Python moved in the interim, they must still be there.

>Apr 01 14:16:08 2005 (11564) Uncaught runner exception: unpack list of wrong
>size
>Apr 01 14:16:08 2005 (11564) Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
>     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
>     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
>_dispose
>     more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
>_dopipeline
>     sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 91, in process
>     send_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 132, in
>send_digests
>     send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 306, in
>send_i18n_digests
>     msg = scrubber(mlist, msg)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 265, in process
>     url = save_attachment(mlist, part, dir)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 359, in
>save_attachment
>     fnext = os.path.splitext(msg.get_filename(''))[1]
>   File
>"/usr/src/build/516269-i386/install/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py",
>line 725, in get_filename
>   File
>"/usr/src/build/516269-i386/install/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py",
>line 608, in get_param
>   File
>"/usr/src/build/516269-i386/install/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py",
>line 555, in _get_params_preserve
>   File
>"/usr/src/build/516269-i386/install/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Utils.py",
>line
>337, in decode_params
>   File
>"/usr/src/build/516269-i386/install/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Utils.py",
>line
>284, in decode_rfc2231
>ValueError: unpack list of wrong size
>
>Apr 01 14:16:08 2005 (11564) SHUNTING:
>1111895203.116622+31a6980c69a33e7b7331bbaa8ca71fb76a29153c

Mailman is attempting to scrub an attachment from the digest. It is
attempting to get the file name from the Content-Disposition: header
using the email.Message.get_filename('') method from the Python
library. It appears that this header is malformed in some way
(possibly bad RFC 2231 encoding) that is causing the ultimate error in
the library routines.

There should be some kind of error trace analogous to this one for each
of the shunted messages although the error may not always be the same.