[Mailman-Users] Please Help!

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 24 06:08:18 CEST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 11:22 AM -0700 2004-09-16, Danny Welch wrote:
>
>>                                               Now I can't seem to find out
>>  how to change the delivery method back to HTML format.  Can you please help
>>  me!  I would greatly appreciate it.
>
>	Mailman gives you to option of converting HTML-formatted messages
>to ASCII text, and it gives you the ability to either strip specific
>attachment types you don't want or to only allow certain specific
>certain attachment types through.
>

>	Go to the "Content Filtering" page for your list.  If you have
>enabled content filtering, there are two blocks of fields which can
>be filled in.  The first block is for removing attachments of a
>specific type.  The second block is for removing all attachments
>which are not of this type.  One or the other of these blocks will
>have had some information filled in -- by default, that is the latter
>block.
>
>	If the latter block is filled in for you, then make sure that
>"text/html" is included in this list.  If the first block is filled
>in, then make sure that "text/html" is *NOT* included.
>
>	Then, you need to make sure that the radio button for "convert
>text/html to text" is turned off.

But also note that if content filtering is on (filter_content = Yes),
then any multipart/alternative parts that contain for example a
text/plain sub-part followed by a text/html sub-part will ultimately
see only the text/plain part on the list even if both text/plain and
text/html are allowed. The only way to get the text/html sub-part to
the list in this case is to allow multipart/alternative and text/html
and NOT text/plain which is probably very bad as it would require
everyone to post in HTML.

Ways around this are to turn off content filtering completely or to
post HTML as HTML only and not multipart/alternative.

Quoting from the content filtering page: <quote>
After this initial filtering, any multipart  attachments that are empty
are removed. If the outer message is left empty after this filtering,
then the whole message is discarded. Then, each multipart/alternative
section will be replaced by just the first alternative that is
non-empty after filtering.</quote>