[Mailman-Users] gid problems or something else??

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Sep 23 19:09:26 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:53:40AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 12:35 PM -0700 2004-09-20, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	If re-running ./configure with the  option
> > 	`--with-mail-gid=daemon', that would be the easiest fix.
>
> 	You are correct -- this is most likely to be the easiest fix.

	This did resolve the problem, thank you.  (The FreeBSD
	port needs to be changed, perhaps, at least for V5.*
	to set the gid=daemon rather than mailnull... .)

	Anyway, before I set my list free upon my group, I have
	another question.  After I got mail flowing from sage.thought.org
	to <wherever>, test messages went to the administrator {me}
	for approval.  Havng me approve/deny list subscribers can
	be useful, but for my purposes, I'd much rather let my users
	automagically subscribe, unsubscribe, change their addresses,
	and so forth _without_ my having to interviene.  What knobs
	do I turnto have my private list be open to all suscribers?
	(I don't remember telling Mailman that I had to be asked to
	approve subscribers in order for them to join.  [I may have
	clicked somewhere unintentionally].)

	thanks for any insights,

	gary

--