[Mailman-Users] Implicit destination

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Sep 14 17:40:59 CEST 2004

Mário Filipe wrote:

>I can i configure a list to receive messages with implicit destination,
>so that they wont bounce for approval?
>
>Is it enough to set "require_explicit_destination" to no? Apart from the
>spam are there any other consequences to such a configuration?

Yes, it should be enough to set "require_explicit_destination" to no.

As to the spam consequence, Do you accept posts from non-subscribers?
If so, you may see a lot of spam going through. If not, most if not
all spam will get caught anyway. You should have an idea of how much
spam is currently caught in this filter and would reach the list if
you change it.

In my case of a list with 300 members and 0 to 20 posts per day and a
web published address, the spam all gets caught in the "non-member"
filter. Only a couple of member posts have gotten caught in the
"implicit destination" filter.

I'm not aware of any adverse consequences other than the potential spam.