Fwd: Re: [Mailman-Users] OutgoingRunner Failing

Brian Greenberg grnbrg at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Sep 14 16:59:42 CEST 2004

David Richards wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I have seen the same problem as you described in your post, I was running a
> shared installation via NFS.  With OutgoingRunner's running on each box.
>
> Would you expect this to have the same results?

While the idea of running MM on multiple machines in itself kind of makes
my head hurt, I'm pretty sure that you're seeing a similar if not the same
problem that I encountered.  The logs you've posted look identical.

 From what I could tell from the code, if you are running more instance of
OutgoingRunner (or any qrunner, for that matter), you *will* have regular
crashes.  This is because (assuming 4 slices, numbered 0 through 3) each
slice should manage 1/4 of the queue hash space.  However, as coded, slice
0 will grab files from the *entire* queue, not just the first quarter.
This results in a race condition.  The qrunner crash is a result of both
slice 0 and another slice seeing a file in the last 3/4 of the hash space,
and both beginning to process it -- one will finish and erase the file, the
other slice will crash.

Try making the following change:

In "mailman-2.1.5/Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py", change line 167 from

	if not lower or (lower <= long(digest, 16) < upper):

	if (lower == upper) or (lower <= long(digest, 16) < upper):

This completely eliminated my problem.

Brian.

>>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:25:42 +0900
>>From: Jim Tittsler <jwt at onjapan.net>
>>Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] OutgoingRunner Failing
>>To: David Richards <d.richards at qut.edu.au>
>>Cc: mailman-users at python.org
>>
>>On Sep 14, 2004, at 09:04, David Richards wrote:
>>

>>>I have the OutgoingRunner process failing quite regularly, and this has
>>>resulted in a build up of mail in the qfiles/out directory.  How do I
>>>find out
>>>what is going on in this process for it to be failing like this?
>>
>>Are there any clues in your logs/error log?  If you are lucky, there
>>will be a traceback showing why OutgoingRunner is crashing.
>>
>>(Have you configured Mailman to run with multiple OutgoingRunners in
>>your mm_cfg file?  If so, check for Brian Greenberg's recent problem
>>report and fix.)

+      Brian Greenberg       +     University of Manitoba     +
+   grnbrg at cc.umanitoba.ca   +   ACN -- Unix Software Admin   +
+ Tasklist and PGP key at http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~grnbrg +