[Mailman-Users] 2.1.[45]: config.db.last not found

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Thu Sep 9 04:04:59 CEST 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 03:16, martin f krafft wrote:
> I am experiencing a strange problem with Mailman 2.1.[45] (it does
> not matter which version I try; I can't try 2.1.3 because it won't
> let me downgrade...), and I don't really know when it started. We
> had some problems with a server and had to reboot it. Since then,
> Mailman does not come up anymore:
[...]
>     File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 609, in Load
>       raise Errors.MMCorruptListDatabaseError, e
>   Mailman.Errors.MMCorruptListDatabaseError: [Errno 2] No such file or
> directory: '/var/lib/mailman/lists/adapt/config.db.last'

That means that it was not able to load either your config.pck or
config.pck.last files, and it is trying to fall back to the config.db
(or config.db.last) as last resorts.  (In fact your Mailman logs/error
log should be telling you about this file corruption.)  Your easiest
fix would be to replace the list configuration with a backup from
before the server problems.

>   Site list for mailman (usually named mailman) missing
>   Please create it; until then, mailman will refuse to start

This is a separate problem.  You are missing the site list (which as
the error message says, is normally called 'mailman' unless you have
renamed it in your mm_cfg file).

> One thing I did note is that if I look at
> /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py:609 where the exception is
> thrown, is that the 'else' on line 605 does not really have
> a corresponding 'if'. Or am I just getting thrown off by Python's
> weird indentation syntax?

Python loops can have else: clauses that are executed if the loop
terminates normally (no break, return, or uncaught exceptions).
Python's clear block structure makes that very easy to read.  :-)

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/