[Mailman-Users] email bouncing back to sender...

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 15:25:25 CEST 2004

You do not seem to have an MX record published for the
alumni-office.swarthmore.edu domain and while an A record is acceptable
for a machine with a public IP number it is indicative of a possible
failure for your network to be configured so as to allow SMTP
connection to port 25 on that machine.

I also found that attempting to connect to port 25 on
alumni-office.swarthmore.edu failed with a timeout which suggest that
something may be blocking connections to it. I suggest you discuss this
with your local sys admin as the cause of your problem may be the
configuration of firewalls on your machine/LAN

The following illustrate the inability to connect, which is what the
MTA that sent the bounce message was reporting:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
alumni-office.swarthmore.edu.  2h5m45s IN A  130.58.82.74

$ telnet alumni-office.swarthmore.edu 25
Trying 130.58.82.74...
telnet: connect to address 130.58.82.74: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host