[Mailman-Users] Using mailman with dial-up Internet access

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Mon Sep 6 03:13:49 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:16:56PM +0200, Steve Mansfield wrote:
> I understand that it's perfectly possible to use mailman on a server that
> has only dial-up access to the Internet. However, I'd like to get a firm
> grasp of the downsides of doing this before I go to the effort of
> installing it.

In addition to losing the Mailman web features for the users,
you should remember that there may be mail delivery issues not
directly related to Mailman when trying to run a list from a
dial-up system.  Many ISPs block direct connections to their
mail servers from address blocks of dial-up users, which will
limit your ability to deliver mail directly to all of your
subscribers.  If you route mail through your provider's SMTP
server (smarthost), you may run afoul of traffic limits they
set on their users.

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/