[Mailman-Users] Using mailman with dial-up Internet access

Steve Mansfield lists at webvivant.com
Sun Sep 5 14:18:06 CEST 2004

-------------------
On Sunday 05 September 2004 12:41, Hilton J Ralphs wrote:
| a. what do you intend to use the list for? one way distribution list or
| interactive like this one?

Interactive. I'm considering mailman for a couple of lists - one new, one
already hosted on yahoogroups (but I don't like the advertising and scruffy
HTML that comes with yahoo). One reason for considering mailman is greater
ownership and access to the message archive, with the possibility to use it
for web content, but in a format of my choosing.

| b. if interactive, then the question is whether it is a closed list or open
| to anyone who wants to join. Closed shouldn't be a problem, subscribe
| everyone upfront and then it's no problem. Public list needs to be
| advertised somewhere.

It's effectively an open list, but in one case supporting an existing web site
where I can advertise it and provide an online form for people to subscribe.
(I could do this for the new list, too). Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to
replicate some of mailman's web features account management features on that
site (I have some PHP experience).

| c. hosting the list via dialup means that the response time between posting
| an email and getting the mail will obviously be longer and may cause
| frustrations.

My set-up does fetchmail and sendmail every 30 mins, so shouldn't be too bad,
if not exactly instantaneous.

Thanks for the input.

--
@+