[Mailman-Users] Odd smtp-error

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Oct 24 03:40:31 CEST 2004

Even more info.. the problem is definitely unpredictable..

Here's some tests I performed with a newly created test mailing list.
Test 1
o Added one person, me, to the list.
o Sent a message to the list.
o Received the posting.  No errors or anything were reported in
sendmail's logs or mailman's logs.

Test2
o Added one other person to the list, again me, but another local
address and its own mailbox.
o Sent a message to the list.
o In the sendmail logs, I get (just do the normal replacements for the
words "at" and "dot"):
Oct 23 21:26:08 cranium sm-mta[13718]: i9O1Q8EF013718: <rich.west at
wesmo dot com>... User unknown
Oct 23 21:26:08 cranium sm-mta[13718]: i9O1Q8EF013718:
from=<test-bounces+rich dot west=wesmo dot com at lists dot wesmo dot com>,
size=1421, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost
[127.0.0.1]
Oct 23 21:26:08 cranium sm-mta[13720]: i9O1Q8EE013718: to=<admin at
wesmo dot com>, delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local,
pri=85562, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
o After analyzing, it's important to note the order of the accounts..
the SECOND email address subscribed was the one that succeeded.  The
first one, which worked in the first test, was the one that failed.  It
made me think that it was acting as if there is no comma in the "to" line...

Wait a sec....  I remember seeing something in the config for Mailman
that said something about limits on inbound SMTP connections.

Here it is.. SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION = 0

After changing that value to a "1", compiling the Defaults.py file with
the command :
python -O -c "import compileall;
compileall.compile_dir('/var/mailman/Mailman', ddir='/var/mailman/Mailman')"

I sent another message under the "test2" configuration as above.  That
worked just fine.  Interesting.

I went a did another test by adding about 10 addresses (all of which
were generating errors previously), and submitting another test email.
Quite suddenly that seemed to work.  In fact, I've been testing it for
about 45 minutes (yes, this email took a while to write, but I figured I
would send it in for completeness of the original request for help) and
I have not had any problems..

Weird.. I never had to alter that value before...  Will that have a
negative impact on things in any way?!

-Rich