[Mailman-Users] Recent AOL thread

texas critter texascritter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 05:07:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:22:41 +0200, Brad Knowles
<brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
> At 2:38 PM -0500 2004-10-20, texas critter wrote:
>
>         That assumes that AOL is giving you the correct error message for
> the particular problem they actually detected.  Having worked the
> other side of that particular fence, I can tell you that this is not
> necessarily a valid assumption.

But the same error message over multiple mailings for *all* AOL list
members over a week or more would indicate that it is correct.  With
shared hosting, it's generally true, even of webhosts that don't want
to host spammers, they often don't pay enough attention to their
resellers' customers and will end up hosting spammers who get the
server's IP address blacklisted.

>         These are good things to do no matter what, regardless of whether
> or not AOL is accurately giving you the appropriate error message for
> the problem they have detected.

Absolutely!  And anyone who's looking to sign up with a webhost should
find out their IP ranges and check them *before* signing up.  I also
recommend that anyone with a dedicated server sign up for the feedback
loop as well.

--
hth,
texas critter