[Mailman-Users] Subscribing users via an email to a 'requireapproval' list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 14 16:25:52 CEST 2004

Guy Waugh wrote:

>I would like to be able to subscribe people to a Mailman 2.1.5 list by
>sending an email to the Mailman server. The list is set up such that
>subscription requests require the list administrator's approval before
>becoming active.

Go to the FAQ at http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py and read
article 4.33 if you're interested in another way of subscribing users
from the web.

>It looks like it is possible to subscribe to a list via email by sending
>a mail to '<listname>-subscribe@<listhost>', but I can't seem to locate
>doco on the email structure required (if any).

There isn't any required structure for mail sent to the -subscribe or
-join address. Both the subject and body can be empty or not.

>I'd like, if possible, to subscribe users via the email method without
>the list administrator having to approve the subscription request. The
>email would be sent by a script that I use to add users to my systems.
>
>Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Ideally, if it is possible, the
>subscription request email would contain the list admin password, I
>guess, or else anyone could subscribe themselves via the email method...

I don't think it is possible to do this.