[Mailman-Users] Newbie help

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 13 22:23:22 CEST 2004

Stephanie Mullaney wrote:

>I am using mailman with a web hosting  service that has Mailman
>installed on their side (.
>I have 2 questions...
>
>1  I have gone through the user discussion group, and have only found a
>minor mention of the following:
>Is there a known problem with trying to work with AOL and Yahoo??????

Have you seen FAQ article 3.42
(http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?)? It may help.

>It
>appears that the confirmaiton
>emails are being filtered as spam and so the users never get signed up.
>My understanding is because there
>are numbers in the subject line of the email.
>I corresponded with the web host provider and they said they can't
>change anything on Mailman since it would
>affect all users.....

Well, that's too bad since if the cause is "numbers in the subject
line", that can be fixed, but apparently not by your host. See FAQ
article 4.52.

>How does everyone else deal with this problem???

If they inform you, you can "mass subscribe" them without confirmations.

Your Yahoo users should be able to see "spam" in their "bulk" folder or
they can just turn SpamGuard off snce it clearly doesn't work for them.

AOL users *may* be able to individually whitelist you by adding the
address [list-name]-bounces at example.com with appropriate substitution
for [list-name] and domain to their AOL address book.

>2.  Is there a way to view the 'pending' members of a group, i.e. the
>ones that signed up but have NOT yet
>been confirmed.

I don't think there's an easy way, and any "hard" way would require
access to the actual Mailman files on the host which you probably
don't have.