[Mailman-Users] Understanding Bounces

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Tue Oct 5 08:03:50 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:50:52PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:50:02PM +0900, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> > Yes.  The admin(s) will see each bounce, just as they see the ones now
> > that the bounce processor doesn't know how to understand.  But that
> > also stops Mailman from managing the bounces.
>
> Ok, so I don't want to disable that.

Well, if you are going to be reviewing all the bounces for some
reason anyway, you could always go manually disable a failed
address.  :-)

> So, as far as you know there's no mailman configuration options that
> will let me review as either as they come in or look at what mailmain
> is currently tracking in its bounce database?

Not that I know of for Mailman 2.0.x.

Setting a bounce_score_threshold of 0.5 or 1.0 in Mailman 2.1.x
with bounce_notify_owner_on_disable would probably do what you
want.  But with the side effect that users will find themselves
with their subscriptions disabled rather easily... so they or
the admin will have to go reenable them.

I confess I wonder about your real goal.  Just making it to the
user's mail server doesn't mean the user got the message.  For
that matter, their opening it and reading it doesn't mean it
in some cases. :-)

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/