[Mailman-Users] Understanding Bounces

Jim Tittsler jwt at onjapan.net
Tue Oct 5 05:50:02 CEST 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 04:24, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I run a few lists where it's important to know that the message was
> delivered to everyone on the list.  So, although I'd like mailmain to
> continue to manage bounces, I'd also like to get a notification of
> every bounce.
> [...]
> I'm not 100% clear on the Bounces options.  If I disable the first
> item: "Try to figure out error messages automatically?"  That turns off
> all bounce handling, right?
>
> If I disable that will *all* the admins see every bounce?

Yes.  The admin(s) will see each bounce, just as they see the ones now
that the bounce processor doesn't know how to understand.  But that
also stops Mailman from managing the bounces.

> Or can I set:
>
>   Minimum number of posts to the list since members first bounce
>   before we consider removing them from the list
>
> to the number 1 and get notification on the first bounce?

I don't think that will achieve your goal because of the way it
interacts with minimum_removal_date which tries to protect against
disabling someone if their mailserver has a bad day.

> Is there a way to see the status of bounces that mailmain is managing
> for a given list?

How about adding yourself to the list-admin alias so that both you and
Mailman got a copy of the raw bounce?

--
Jim Tittsler             http://www.OnJapan.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6
Python Starship          http://Starship.Python.net/