[Mailman-Users] no public archives possible

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at kflog.org
Sun Oct 3 12:22:32 CEST 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 07:51, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2004, at 04:25, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:
> > [...] And when I want to see the archive, I
> > only get "Access denied" (no matter, what domain I use).
> > Apache log says:
> >
> > "client denied by server
> > configuration: /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/<listname>"
>
> Is your Apache configured to follow symbolic links?  (Where they
> exist, the public archives are simply symbolic links to the
> private archives.) See Apache's "Options FollowSymLinks" and make
> sure it applies to your /var/lib/mailman/archives/public
> directory.

The access is now possible.  I made a mistake in Apache-config.  The
links were correct, but the general access to the directory was
denied for the base-domain of the server (see below).

But the difference between public and private archives still exists.
If I define a list as being private, the link from the
listinfo-page is pointing to the correct domain the list belongs
to.  As soon as I switch the list to public, the link changes to
the base name of the server (DEFAULT_URL_HOST in mm_cfg.py).

> > P.S.: Is there any way to limit a list to one domain?  I don't
> > need to have multiple lists with the same name but for
> > different domains.  But I don't like the idea, that one can
> > post to one list, using every domain of the server ...
>
> That is a function of your mail server configuration.  Have it
> consider both the local part and the domain name when checking
> the aliases that direct mail to Mailman.

What do You mean with this?  I'm using postfix as MTA, all
information about domains, account, ... are stored in a MySQL
database.

    Heiner

--
          heiner at kflog dot org    GnuPG - Key: E05AEAFC
  Fingerprint:  257A DFBF 4977 4585 77A0  3509 973B 92AA E05A EAFC