[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman for Newsletters

Sylvain nospam at rtcw.com.fr
Sat Nov 27 00:34:27 CET 2004

Le Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:56:02PM -0800, Mark Sapiro ecrivait :
> Thanks for checking the FAQ first.

No problem ! I usualy prefere to find the solution by myself :)

> To subscribe via e-mail send "blank" e-mail to
> mynewsletter-join at list.mydomain.com or to
> mynewsletter-subscribe at list.mydomain.com or send e-mail eith subject
> "subscribe" to mynewsletter-request at list.mydomain.com.

Ok, it works when I send an email at
mynewsletter-join at list.mydomain.com ! I can see the mail passing in my
Postfix logs and the bounce from Mailman arrives, and I appear in the
Members List. So everything works fine.

My problem was a permission problem :/ I've just tail -f the error log
file of Mailman and I got this :

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/var/lib/mailman/lists/rtcw-tux/config.pck'

Well, I think my installation of Postfix is not very clean. It has been
installed from the sources and I had a lot of problems to make Mailman
working fine with acting as a Mailing-List manager.

Anyway, this is a 'test' server. I'll try to set this system on a clean
installation :)

> mynewsletter at list.mydomain.com is the posting address of the list, i.e.
> the address to which you send to have the mail resent to all the list
> members. Since your list has no members yet, this mail is essentially
> ignored.

Ok, this step is working to. If, as a simple member of the list, I send
an email on mynewsletter at list.mydomain.com, it's rejected with the error
message I've defined, so that's ok!

> If you have set up your web server properly, you should also be able to
> subscribe by going to something like
> http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/mynewsletter and you should be
> able to adjust the various list settings at
> http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/mynewsletter

Yep, this step is working just fine too.

Thanks for your help!

cheers,
Sylvain