[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman for Newsletters

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 26 22:56:02 CET 2004

Sylvain wrote:

>I plan to use Mailman to set up a Newsletter system. I'll have to define
>2 or 3 differents Newsletters. I'm able to use Mailman as his first
>function, a powerfull mailing list system :)
>
>I've check the FAQ
>(http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#3.11)
>but I have some questions.

Thanks for checking the FAQ first.

>I'm running Mailman version 2.1.4 (taken from backports.org) on a Debian
>Woody.
>
>1/ I've created a list with the command "newlist mynewsletter"
>2/ I've copy and paste the aliases block in my /etc/aliases and ran
>   newaliases
>3/ Once my list is created, what email address will I have to use to
>   register on the Newsletter ? With what subject ? When I'll got it
>   running, I'll create a form on my website to subscribe/unsubscribe on
>   the newsletter.
>
>Actually, when I send an email on mynewsletter at list.mydomain.com with
>the
>subject "subscribe", I see the mail arriving on my server through
>Postfix logs but I don't receive any confirmation mail back and no new
>entry in the Membership List.

To subscribe via e-mail send "blank" e-mail to
mynewsletter-join at list.mydomain.com or to
mynewsletter-subscribe at list.mydomain.com or send e-mail eith subject
"subscribe" to mynewsletter-request at list.mydomain.com.

mynewsletter at list.mydomain.com is the posting address of the list, i.e.
the address to which you send to have the mail resent to all the list
members. Since your list has no members yet, this mail is essentially
ignored.

If you have set up your web server properly, you should also be able to
subscribe by going to something like
http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/mynewsletter and you should be
able to adjust the various list settings at
http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/mynewsletter