[Mailman-Users] Unable to get Mailman up and running withqmail/vpopmail

Tierra etierra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 07:08:14 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:02:13 -0800, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Alexander Schwethelm wrote:
> >
> >What doesn't work and this is of course the most important part, is any mail
> >to mailman.  Let's say I have a list mylist at lists.mydomain.tld and I send an
> >email to this address as a list user, the mail gets stuck in the qmail
> >queue.
> >
> >So I am not even sure if those mails ever reach mailman in order to process
> >the mails?
>
> Have you read the README.QMAIL file that comes with the Mailman source
> distribution?

I just want to re-emphasize the importance of the README.QMAIL file,
it's only user notes, but those are important notes you need to
understand to get mailman working.

I'm running the same config (qmail/vpopmail) using lists.mydomain.tld.
Some quick tips from me aside from the user notes in the above
mentioned readme:

Let me jump on the first thing that comes to mind with your described
problem. Make sure you have the mailman user's maildir setup (and make
sure it's in the mailman user's home directory, which may be setup
elsewhere from /home/mailman, like /usr/local/mailman). I'm not
actually sure if you need the maildir setup, but it's just good
practice. Then if your going the same (easier) route I did setting up
mailing lists, make sure you have your .qmail-default file in the
mailman home directory with "|/usr/bin/python
/usr/local/mailman/bin/qmail-to-mailman.py" (or where ever you
installed mailman).

That's all assuming your not doing mailing list aliases manually per
list. I highly suggest you take advantage of the qmail-to-mailman.py
script. Continuing on, make sure qmail knows where to send emails
going to lists.yourdomain.tld by adding "lists.yourdomain.tld:mailman"
in the qmail virtualdomains file (if this isn't setup right, and
rcpthosts is, that could be the cause of keeping an email in the queue
since it doesn't know where to put it).

Make sure you have lists.yourdomain.tld in the rcpthosts file for
qmail. From your description, it sounds like this is already done.

Last, but not least, if your still having problems, take a look at
your qmail logs for any description of what problems may be in the
way.

Bryan Petty