[Mailman-Users] Problem moving 2.0 list to 2.1.5 [SOLVED]

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 19 07:05:40 CET 2004

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Did you run bin/update after moving the list directory?
>
>It wasn't clear from the UPGRADING readme that that step was necessary.
>bin/update seems like it will update Mailman itself (which may not be
>desirable).  Is it necessary for moving mailing lists?  What does it do
>for 2.0-2.1 upgrades?

bin/update converts data files, qfiles, list data, etc. as necessary to
bring them from an older format to that of the current Mailman. If you
have an installation and you upgrade the Mailman software, the update
is run automatically as part of the upgrade. However, if you move an
existing list that is in an old format to an already installed newer
Mailman version (which is what I thought you did, but maybe not), I
think you need to run bin/update to update the list files.

If you moved to the new server and then upgraded to 2.1.5, then you
don't need to run bin/update separately. If you installed 2.1.5 on the
new server and then moved your lists from the old server, I think you
do need to run bin/update.