[Mailman-Users] Some requirements questions

Scott Balmos sbalmos at simunex.com
Sat Nov 13 00:18:17 CET 2004

Hi all,

Some of my questions about using Mailman have already been answered in
the FAQ. Others, I have here. Let's see what can be answered. :)

1) Can a list be set to refuse any subscribing/unsubscribing action? I
intend to use the LDAP adapter, so subscribing/unsubscribing actions are
both unnecessary, but also undesirable.

2) Say I have a list mixed with some subscribers who should, and some
subscriber who should not, have posting access to the list. I am
assuming this means the only way I can do this is to have all of the
can-post subscribers be explicitly listed in the posting rights
preferences? In this case, if/when one of those can-post subscribers
changes their email address in the LDAP directory, do I have to also
manually go into all the lists that they're members of, and somehow
manually (through human intervention, or extra code in my LDAP manager
web-app) change their email addresses in there too, or does Mailman
somehow "realize" that it's still the same person, but with an updated
address.

3) Since my native mail server is Cyrus, many of my users use the
username+folder at blah extended address syntax in order to directly
deliver mailing list posts to a specific folder in their IMAP store.
Messages coming from this user, obviously, will look like they're from
username at blah, *not* username+folder at blah as stored in the subscriber
list. Is there any way to get Mailman to recognize this (maybe by
stripping off the extended username after the + sign)? Whereabouts in
the code would I look for this?

4) Can an umbrella list have its own set of explicit posters? Say I have
lists A, B, and C, which have explicit posting rights given to some of
their subscribers. Now I have umbrella list Foo, containing those three
lists. The only person who should have posting rights to this umbrella
is Joe Blow, who is not a subscriber of A, B, or C. Actually, more
generally, can the umbrella list have a combination of both individual
subscribers, and other lists, and then one of those umbrella subscribers
be given explicit posting access?

5) Can Mailman pull list subscriber data from multiple sources? In my
setup, I have the normal subscribers, who should have posting access, in
LDAP, and then a set of "observer" can't-post subscribers in an SQL
table. Is it possible to combine LDAP & SQL subscriber lists for a
single mailing list like this?

Sorry for the long-winded nature of this post. Thanks for the info!

--Scott Balmos