[Mailman-Users] Another cause for no-emails?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at xmlteam.com
Thu Nov 11 19:41:20 CET 2004

I appear to have discovered yet another way to prevent mailman from
sending out those pesky mailing list emails ;) ... I've been through
the checklist on 3.14 of the FAQ, also checked the RH9 Sendmail FAQ
and everything (so far) checks out

but mailman does not send mail.

The possibly complicating factor is this host having two virtual
domains, although sending regular emails _to_ either the
lists.xmlteam.com or fod2.xmlteam.com addresses seems to work just
fine:

I'm using the RPM in the RH9 distribution, mailman-2.1-8, with
sendmail configured with the cw option set and including all possible
hostnames for this IP, /etc/mail/access includes all the domains as
RELAY able, there's nothing at all in the mailman/error (0 bytes) and
mailman is correctly entered into the smrsh.  I've even set the
SMTPHOST to the IP, just in case

Another possible clue: while Sendmail appears to route the inbound
message correctly, nothing shows up in the archives or the moderation
queue.

the only entries in the /var/log/maillog goes like this:

    Nov 10 20:53:19 feed2 sendmail[558]: iAB1quDr000552:
    to=xtnews at lists.xmlteam.com, ctladdr=garym at xmlteam.com (505/501),
    delay=00:00:23, xdelay=00:00:11, mailer=relay, pri=30416,
    relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (iAB1r8FO\000559
    Message accepted for delivery)

    Nov 10 20:53:22 feed2 sendmail[565]: iAB1r8FO000559:
    to="|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post xtnews",
    ctladdr=<xtnews at lists.xmlteam.com> (8/0), delay=00:00:04,
    xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=prog, pri=30965, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

sendmail -bt also suggests the aliases and virtual host configuration
are correct ...

    # /usr/lib/sendmail -bv xtnews at lists.xmlteam.com

    "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post xtnews"... deliverable: mailer
    prog, user "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post xtnews"

Now, one suspicious thing: RH9 apparently runs Sendmail under the user
group 'smmsp', and when I tried to run /var/mailman/mail/mailman as
the smmsp _user_, I got

# sudo -u smmsp /var/mailman/mail/mailman post xtnews

    Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
    executed as one of the following groups:
    [mail, nobody, mailman],

    but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "smmsp".
    Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
    [mail, nobody, mailman],

    or re-run configure providing the command line option:
    '--with-mail-gid=smmsp'.

Smoking gun?  Clear case of a RH9 mis-packaging?  Must I _recompile_
mailman to make this change? (I'm afraid changing RH9's Sendmail
installation as recommended could open an even larger can of worms)

Any other diagnostic tests I can run?

--
    gary lawrence murphy <gary at xmlteam.com> :: xml team solutions
     :: sports data integration through open standard sportsml ::