[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 30

G James Jones gjjones1 at usi.edu
Thu Nov 11 17:45:25 CET 2004

> From: David <kornshell at solonet.co.id>
> To: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: [Mailman-Users] Post Installation Mailman Question
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:57:28 +0700
>

> Hello there,
> I successfull install mailman 2.1.5 at RedHat 9.0, but I have some
> questions here :

Excellent!  It is a great piece of software and I think you will like it
a lot.

> 1. How to change the owner ? from /$prefix/bin/list_owners I get one, I
> want to edit nor add another one

I asked this a couple of days ago.  The owners of the list can use the
mailman web interface to add, remove or change ownership.

If you want to do it as a site admin, you can do it in a programmatic
way using bin/withlist using Python syntax to modify the owner object of
the list.

Check the archives for this list for an excellent example.

Another, easy, way to do it from the command line as ad admin is to dump
the configuration of the list, change the value(s) that you are
concerned about (ownership, whether or not you want public archives,
etc) and then reload the modified configuration.

bin/config_list -o and -i should help in that regard.

bin/config_list --help should get you started.

Just edit the output file with your favorite editor and then import your
changes.

use -v to make sure all went well.

use -c to do a dry run.

> 2. If a milis created, it always send notification to owner of mailman
> to add some lines for aliases to /etc/aliases and restart aliases, I
> want make this automatically (create a milis, automatically insert some
> important aliases related to milis and restart aliases without login to
> the box)

My guess is that you will have to script this.

> 3. I want to make archieves at web can not accessed by everyone.

See my answer above.

> Thank you

Jim Jones
Systems Analyst